Sunday, August 9, 2009

Art and Artists

This summer I have experimented with different forms of art: collage, painting, drawing. For the first time in my life I feel like calling myself and artist (an amateur, but an artist nonetheless). Maybe I will even get the courage to post some of them on this blog soon. In the meanwhile, they will be on display in the back of my Kindergarten classroom (which, some might say, is right where they belong).

I came across this list, created by an artist named Lisa Engelbrecht, that describes how I'm feeling as a new artist. It also makes me think of my friend Brynn Hoffman, who is a true artist:

Top 10 Why Nots of Doing Art?

10. ACCEPT where you are now.
9. TURN OFF the inner critic and TURN ON your imagination.
8. BE INVOLVED in the process...not just the product.
7. Make art EVERY DAY.
6. Always BE A BEGINNER - act like you've never done anything like this before.
5. Allow yourself to FAIL now and again - to help you from always playing it safe.
4. LEAP and let the net appear (a la Julia Cameron).
3. PAINT as if no one will see it.
2. OWN that you are an artist.
1. USE your art to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment